Friday, October 11, 2013

Too Much of Something Good


When one thinks of technology it is likely that the extravagant technology our culture is provided with is the first thing that comes to mind. Immediately visions of “smart phones” and laptops appear. But what about the technology that comes without the bells and whistles our flat screen 3D television provides? I had previously talked about SmartBoards and how wonderful they are for the learning process and I still stand by that statement but I also believe that effective learning does not ALWAYS need some type of computer. What ever happened to a sharp pencil, a blank sheet of paper, and an open mind?

As teacher, I think, we forget that paper and pencil are great sources of technology. We are so focused on using the latest SmartBoard or using the laptops our district provides us with that or students rarely have the opportunity to go back to basics. It has come to the point that using extravagant technology in the classroom is expected. It has become a mundane part of the learning experience instead of the exciting, interactive lesson it used to be. Some students may even tell you that is makes the learning experience more difficult with all the distractions it provides. What we need to remember is that technology is only affective when used appropriately and not every lesson lends its self to the use of it. Sometimes the most effective lesson is one where the student uses minimal technology and truly allow themselves to think and express. Not every assignment needs to be typed on a fancy laptop and not every lesson needs to be given over PowerPoint. Lessons like this should be reserved for times when they are appropriate and not just used because the technology is available.

7 comments:

  1. "What ever happened to a sharp pencil, a blank sheet of paper, and an open mind?"
    I love that you wrote this! I completely agree with you. Technology is wonderful and all and does make life easier and more convenient, but its not always necessary. Your quote made me think of Kindles. It is nice to have all of your books in a convenient, lightweight tablet, but there is nothing like holding an actual book in your hands and being able to turn the page. Let us go back to the simple things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some teachers in today's society are trying to use too much in their lesson. They believe that in order to make their lesson "perfect" they have to incorporate everything they have in their classroom, such as a smart board, computer programs, projector, etc. If they only use a couple or none at all they may believe their lesson has "failed". However, I agree with you that some lessons do not need the support of technology. Such technology should be reserved for specific lessons that may be a little challenging for students to comprehend with just paper and a pencil. Teachers need to remember this again and not try to force the use of technology in EVERY lesson they teach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I think using different forms of technology is great, I do agree that they're most beneficial when used in moderation. Some classrooms have every different kind of technology and sometimes I think it takes away from the learning experience, rather than empowering it. No need for the overkill! And, as you suggested, what's wrong with using a pen and paper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with you that we got all caught up by the idea that we "have“ to use technology in the classroom and couldn't go back to the basics. I have to say that technology such as the SmartBoard and projector are useful when teachers lecture because they can save some class time writing notes on the board. But I have to say that computers are distracting in a math classroom if students are using them to take notes. I think that the content will stick in their heads longer if they actually write them in their notebook. I think that computers should only be used in a math classroom when there are assignments or projects that absolutely require the use of computers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on this post! We seem to have forgotten that technology can be as simple as using a paper and pencil. Smartboards could be useful for displaying Powerpoints and pin-pointing onto information displayed through a computer screen, but the reality is that have not always had these sources of technology to use. Simplicity in teaching is sometimes the best way to approach lessons. The ones that I remember the most in were even thought provoking lectures, which can get lost through the mask of utilizing the latest technology in classrooms today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me, the most important task a teacher has is to find the best way to teach content. I am all about the content, and I think content often takes backseat to new gimmicks and contradictory philosophies about education. As such, we often employ technology in ways that do not really help us teach content to the best of our capability. Like you said, sometimes all we need for a successful lesson is the basics. I am a big supporter of technology in the classroom, so long as it is used with a clear goal in mind. A certain technology should only be used if without it, the lesson would be unsuccessful. It should always be used meaningfully, and if it can't be, we just shouldn't use it. I think you are right when you say that teachers often use technology just because the district wants them to; many teachers feel pressured to use a new technology because the district spent the money to get it. This is such a wrong way to go about using technology. Technology has a lot to offer, but sometimes it is only necessary to use older technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved when you said, "What ever happened to a sharp pencil, a blank sheet of paper, and an open mind?" I think you are right and I agree with your argument but only to a certain extent. I wrote about technology in the classroom and as I mentioned there I will mention again here; We are fighting the wrong battle. I do not think it is a matter of whether or not technology should be incorporated into classrooms. Rather I believe it is a matter of WHICH classroom it should be incorporated into. I agree that it may take away this idea of expression and authenticity in the English classroom but we have to understand that to reach authenticity in other classrooms, such as a Foreign Language classroom, technology is needed. When learning a new language students should have access to technology to hear different dialects of a language and to listen to the different ways it is used in real life. How can they do that with just a textbook? So while I am not against your argument I can not fully agree.

    ReplyDelete